Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Thought I Saw

By Ruth A. Ringelstetter

The desk in my home office is right in front of the window facing the back yard. Often, I’ll see a large yellow lab leading its owner towards the park next door.

This past Monday morning as I worked, I caught a glimpse of something big and black out of the corner of my eye. I thought I saw….no, it couldn’t have been.

Maybe a black lab had moved into the neighborhood so I looked up to watch it pass. However, this was no dog. Before I go further with this story, you must understand that I live in town, not in the country.


What I saw running past was a young black cow, followed shortly by a teenage girl. After a minute or two several more young girls ran past.


They ended up in the parking lot of a building in the business park, and I could hear the cow bellowing as it tried to outrun the girls.


About 20 minutes later, the cow passed the window again, running back in the direction it had originally come from, this time followed by a different running girl.


And, after a couple of minutes, the first girl that had passed by came walking past, looking obviously hot and tired.


That was the last I saw of the cow and the girls. As Joann mentioned last week, it’s fair time in Wisconsin, and I don’t know if the girls were loading or unloading the cow from showing at a fair or what was happening.


Growing up on a dairy farm, we were usually chasing more than one cow when they got out, but it brought back memories of those “good old days.”


Happy Shunpiking!
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment