Thursday, November 7, 2013

Brief Encounters - Fall Harvest

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

Last Sunday, Ruth posted a Quick Pic of the Grim Reaper waiting, which I captured in Filmore County, Minnesota. After that grim encounter (smile), we then headed for the backroads. As we came around a corner, we saw a farmer harvesting corn with a combine.


The combine was moving away from us at a quick pace, stirring up dust as it gobbled up the rows of corn. I pulled the car to the side of the road, jumped out, grabbed my camera, and snapped a photo. The combine continued to move quickly and started to disappear over a small hill. So I snapped another photo.


I love the look of fields of golden corn and am always disappointed when corn is chopped early in the fall before it has a chance to reach the golden stage. But I also like to see the harvest in action and this action was gone all too soon. As the combine totally disappeared over the hill, I wondered for a second if we should hang around and wait for the combine to come back. But it was a very large field and there was much for us to do that day.


And now, as most of the autumn leaves have fallen to the ground and the harvest season is nearing an end, I am saddened by the lack of photo opportunities. But soon the snow will make its appearance and we will once again hit the backroads in search of winter’s peace.

Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

1 comment: