Sunday, August 7, 2016

Places with Faces

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

On a road near my home, a road that I take on the way to almost everywhere, there is a very large family farm. About three years ago, a dented silver tank (possibly a milk tank) appeared in the weeds at the edge of the farm buildings. It made me smile because it seemed to have a rather sad face, along with a nose ring. After driving by it for over a year, I finally stopped to take a few photos of it. That was two years ago and the sad-faced tank is still there.


After taking that picture, I got to thinking about how many times Ruth and I see faces on the structures we photograph. When the faces are painted on the structure, they are almost always happy faces, like the one on this barn.


Or the one on this big steel tank.



Or this iconic yellow smiley face on a water tower in Eagle, Wisconsin.


But the faces we see that are made up of windows and doors and missing boards are the most fun for us. Maybe you’ll think we’re crazy, especially when we stretch the imagination, but creativity and seeing what others don’t see is what gives us the most satisfaction. Here’s a barn with a missing board or two that makes for a stream of tears coming from the “eye” on the left.


I think the most fun is to put words to the expressions on the faces. Here are a few of my favorites:

“Would you guys stop squeezing so hard? I’ve got a headache!”


“Nobody seems to care about us old barns anymore. I mean, look at my roof!”


“I’m watching you, so don’t think you can get away with something!”


“Don’t look now, but somebody’s following you!”


“Jimmy, you get back in here and clean your room. I’m not going to tell you again!”


I hope you’ve enjoyed these places with faces. I’ll leave you with this optimistic thought:

“Smile, God Loves You!”


Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

4 comments:

  1. Such a fun perspective on life in the hunt for perfect snapshots of ordinary life...'Love these! :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great thing to wake up to! I'll be smiling all day. You've given me a new way to observe the country-side. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all, especially the ones you have to have an imagination for. :)

    ReplyDelete