Friday, March 18, 2016

A Boyfriend in Bonaparte

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

Last year, on our spring photography trip, Ruth and I visited the town of Bonaparte, Iowa, which has a large riverfront historic district along the Des Moines River. Because many of the buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, I decided to just walk the district with my camera and tripod. I started in the center of the district, photographing the brick post office building, which was originally the Bonaparte State Bank and Masonic Lodge #73.


This building had something I always love to see on old brick buildings: a decorative star-shaped anchor plate. Anchor plates, also called wall washers, are connected to tie rods for the purpose of reinforcing the structure of masonry buildings.


I continued east on First Street, which runs parallel to the river. Most of the buildings on this street are on the National Register, such as this old-fashioned hardware store.


The Whiteley Opera House, built circa 1894, is also on the National Register. It was rebuilt after the original Haney Opera House was destroyed by fire. Seating capacity was 600.


At the end of that street, on the edge of town, was Bonaparte Pottery. This building is not only on the National Register, but it is also a National Historic Archaeological Site. It began as Parker & Hanback Pottery in 1866 and was later known as Hanback & Wilson. At its peak, the business produced over 125,000 gallons of pottery per year as well as drain pipe, flower pots, and fire-proof bricks.


There were many more historic buildings that I photographed and more I would like to have explored with my camera lens. However, it was getting late and Ruth was urging me to wrap things up so we could continue on our route. So we pulled over on a quiet street to get our logs updated with all the subjects I had captured on my walk through town.


I had the back door of the car open and I was scrolling through photos telling Ruth what to record when I was suddenly startled by a man who had come up behind me and started talking. He was wearing bib overalls, needed a shave, and was missing one of his front teeth. He said he had seen me taking photographs earlier and he asked where we were from. There was a tile blacksmith shop across the street, so I asked him if he was the blacksmith. He said he was and that he had grown up in Bonaparte in the 1950s. His name was Maurice Cummings.


He told me that his grandfather, Clarence Cummings, had moved the blacksmith shop from the neighboring town of Bentonsport in the 1920s by hauling it in pieces using horses and mules. Then he asked if I had taken a picture of their public library just down the street from where we were standing. He said his parents had owned the building and had donated it to the city. It was originally a residence for the Green family and was converted to the Aunty Green Hotel in 1855 to accommodate railroad personnel.


Maurice said that the hotel, which had a picturesque second-story porch, had quite a history. He hesitated for a minute and then asked, “Are you guys religious?” I said, “Are we religious? Well, we like to say we’re recovering Catholics.” He laughed and said, “Okay, then I’ll tell you the real history.”

“The Aunty Green Hotel used to be a whorehouse. I’ve got pictures of the whores hanging out on the porch. People don’t like to hear that, so I’m careful who I say that to.” I laughed and then he said, “I wish I could buy you two a drink, but the bar’s not open.” I said, “That’s okay, we have to get going anyway.” Then I shook his hand and said, “Nice meeting you, Maurice Cummings. Thanks for the ‘real’ history of the hotel.” He returned to his blacksmith shop and Ruth and I went back to updating our logs.


Before we could finish our updates, Maurice, who was standing in front of his blacksmith shop, started talking to me again. I told him I had to finish my log updates. He waited patiently while we finished and then struck up a conversation again. After several minutes of small talk, I told him that we really had to get going because we had a lot to photograph yet that day. I said goodbye and he lingered outside his shop until we drove away.


As we passed an old grocery store that had a ghost sign for “General Merchandise & Geyserite Soap,” and the blacksmith shop began to fade in the rearview mirror, Ruth smirked and said, “Joann’s got a boyfriend! Joann’s got a boyfriend in Bonaparte!”

And what could I do, but laugh!

Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your photos and the (real) story of your time in Bonaparte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just never know where love will bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Always enjoy the friendly folk you mention having met while on the job of logging and photographing on the back roads. The human element adds so much life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone. Thanks so much for reading our blog and leaving your kind comments. Others left messages via Facebook and email, such as: "Great story, you never know where you will find your true love!", "Another great story that made me smile. You make history come alive:)", and "I nearly laughed my head off! OMG, you let a good man go! You know, they are hard to find!" These comments make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you usual your story telling is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name is Carrie Cummings and Maurice Cummings was my father he passed away in September. Reading this brought tears to my eyes I can hear him saying all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, I'm sorry to hear that your father passed away and I guess I got his name wrong. I thought he said Morris. I always enjoy someone who is welcoming when we're photographing and who provides us with history we wouldn't otherwise know. Your dad was great and I would have talked to him longer, except we were already way behind schedule on what we had hoped to accomplish that day. Wishing you the peace that good memories bring.

      Delete
  7. Carrie went back home to Bonapart for a visit and I kept her company while we ventured back to her "stomping" grounds. She took me on a tour through the town and she pulled up to this old building called the "Blacksmith" shop! Out of the building came Maurice. Carrie then introduced him to me as her father. We didn't stay only just for a few minutes and I have since wished we could have carried on more of the history lesson he held so very close to his heart! Rest in peace Maurice !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, thanks for your comment. When I met Maurice, I thought he said his name was Morris, so I have respecfully corrected that in my story. When we are on the road and we meet people, I often wish I could spend more time getting information from them. As it is, my conversations always put us behind schedule, but a big part of the fun of hitting the backroads is the people we meet along the way. Maurice was fun to talk to and he took me inside his shop, which was stuffed with projects and spare parts and other things. I'm glad I got to meet him! I know he is watching over Carrie and smiling.

      Delete