Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Road Not Taken

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood….and I --
I took the one less traveled by.
(from “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost)


As we travel along the backroads in search of rural scenes to photograph, we are presented with one opportunity after another to choose between one road or another. Ruth is always looking ahead on the map and figuring out which way we will turn when we come to a crossroads. Sometimes, though, she will say, “You can either take the next left or the one after that -- we haven’t driven either of them before,” or “You can go left or right, your choice.”



When I’m given the choice, I look as far down the road as I can, thinking about the possibilities. I might see a silo with a wooden roof in the distance, an interesting roof line, an old bridge, or a “squiggly road” sign. All of these things beckon me down the road, but as I choose, I still wonder about what might be down the road not taken.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
(from “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost)


Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

No comments:

Post a Comment