Sunday, July 8, 2012

“I’m Not Saying!”

By Ruth A. Ringelstetter

Several times a year Joann and I make a short trip to Iowa to capture more photos of rural America. Our latest trip was two weeks ago, right before the weather turned incredibly hot.

I had some barns marked for us to check out, but my list of other items was very long. We had two and a half days, and I had items marked to last us a week or more.


We were heading down an unpaved road looking for an old one room school, and off to the right was an old shed. As always, when we drive down a road, we are sizing everything up for photo possibilities.


I didn’t think the old shed was worth stopping for, so I started to put my eyes down to the map. But then, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw….no, it couldn’t have been.

Several seconds passed, and then the following conversation took place.

Ruth: “You have to turn around.”

Joann: “What did you see? I didn’t see anything but an old shed.”

Ruth: “No, it wasn’t the old shed, just turn around.”

Joann: Well, what was it?”

Ruth (wondering now if I had really seen what I thought I had): “I’m not saying! Just turn around.”

Joann did an “asterisk turn” on the narrow road, and we drove slowly back. Just past the old shed, sure enough, was the sight below. I really DID see an old car, upended in the field next to the shed.


I wonder sometimes what all we miss as we drive down these country roads, since all it takes is a second looking away and you miss something. Something very cool, I’m sure!


Happy Shunpiking, and keep your eyes open for the good stuff!
Ruth

Photos in this blog post can be purchased as wall art, paper prints, downloads, phone cases, and keepsakes by clicking on the photo. You will be taken to the gallery website where you will see a big blue "BUY" button. Or to see all photos available, click on the "Browse Galleries" button on the menu at the top of this page. Thank you for your interest!

2 comments:

  1. Your title had me wondering, Ruth. Funny story and "good eye"! The car reminds me of our trip on Route 66 last fall. We stopped at the "Cadillac Ranch" in Amarillo, Texas. It's 10 old cadillacs upended in the ground. Except they're all painted with graffiti - apparently that's encouraged as there were lots of empty spray cans on the ground and a strong smell of paint. I like yours much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read about Cadillac Ranch, and how people stop and add their own graffiti. There weren't even any houses around this field, and it was a true backroad, so you have to wonder who did it and why. It was definitely a cool find!

    ReplyDelete