Monday, May 28, 2018

Happy 170th Birthday, Wisconsin!

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

May 29th is considered Wisconsin’s birthday because that is the day, in 1848, that Wisconsin was admitted to the Union as the 30th state.


Ruth and I, along with our siblings, grew up in the great state of Wisconsin on a dairy farm, milking Holstein cows. Wisconsin is known as America’s Dairyland because it is one of the nation's leading dairy producers and is famous for the quality of the cheese produced here.


Wisconsin is also known for its cranberries. Sixty percent of the nation’s cranberries are produced here and the world’s largest cranberry festival is held each September in Warrens, Wisconsin.


The state wildlife animal is the white-tailed deer.


The state insect is the honeybee.


The state grain is corn.


And the state bird is the American Robin.



What I love most about Wisconsin is the beautiful change of seasons, with my favorite being autumn. And, of course, I love to hit the backroads of Wisconsin for some peaceful shunpiking whenever the mood strikes me!


Happy Birthday, Wisconsin, and Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

5 comments:

  1. Nice story and photos about our beautiful state! I didn't realize that today is Wisconsin's birthday! Happy Birthday, beautiful Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Phyllis and Stephanie. I knew Wisconsin became a state in 1848, but never knew which day it was until Ruth realized it. Luckily she noticed it in time for me to post a Happy Birthday story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Just seeing this now. Great post! We always hang our WI state flag on the porch on 5/29, and this week was no exception. Love the photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I love that you guys hang a Wisconsin flag on the porch every year. I don't know anyone else who does that! Good for you!

      Delete