Monday, October 17, 2016

Early MornIng Surprise

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

On Sunday, a little before 5:00 a.m., Ruth arrived at my house so we could head out for a day of fall photography in Juneau and Monroe Counties. Ruth pulled her car into the garage, opened the kitchen door, and said, “Just so you know, it’s froggy out this morning,” which is what we jokingly say when it’s foggy out. Then she asked me if I could fill her water bottle. I filled the bottle and took it out to the car.

When I came back in, I noticed a small brown leaf in the middle of the kitchen floor, so I reached down to pick it up. To my surprise, the “leaf” jumped across the kitchen floor.


Needless to say, it startled me when the “leaf” came alive unexpectedly. Now all I had to figure out was how to catch the tiny frog so I could take him back outside. This proved to be a bit of a challenge.


Every time I approached the frog and started to reach for him, he “boinged” halfway across the kitchen floor. And I had to keep chasing him back towards the sink so he wouldn’t go under the refrigerator or stove.

Meanwhile, the clock was ticking and it was already past the time we had planned to leave. So I grabbed a paper towel and lunged at him, successfully trapping him in the paper towel.


I took the little brown frog outside and let him go. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the frog, but he was too jumpy for me to do that. And I wish I knew what kind of frog it was. I was pretty sure it wasn’t a tree frog, which I often see and hear around my house. And I knew for sure it wasn’t a bullfrog! (Grin)


When we had finished loading the car, I went outside to make sure my little guest wasn’t sitting in the driveway behind my car. And then I heard something I’ve never heard outside my house in the thirteen years I’ve been here….a Spring Peeper. I didn’t know Spring Peepers sang in the fall, but I heard several again today. And then I read that they sometimes sing in the fall, especially when it’s warmer than normal, which it certainly was yesterday and today.


As we drove out into the country, I commented that it was indeed "froggy" that day, inside and out! I hope everyone is enjoying autumn. Just watch out for leaves that go “boing!”

Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

4 comments:

  1. Cute story! What are those two frogs sitting on in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a thick black cloth I sometimes use as a background. Normally the cloth is far enough away so you don't see the texture of it. In this case, these frogs were very cooperative, so I put them on the cloth to photograph them. And, by the way, the frogs were discovered by Toby in the window well at their house - one green, and one brown. Aren't frogs amazing?!

      Delete
  2. Ah, for a minute, I thought they were on your car seat or something! Yes, frogs are amazing! We always have little frogs outside the screen on our lanai here in Florida. I'm not positive what they are but think they may be Squirrel Tree Frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rib it! Rib it! Great Pictures and Story! :)

    ReplyDelete