Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Barbershop Pickin' and Grinnin'

By Joann M. Ringelstetter

In April, 2013, on our way to photograph for a week in Ohio, we stopped in the small town of Markleville, Indiana. Unfortunately, the vintage advertising sign we had hoped to capture was gone, but then I saw a big Coca Cola sign on a building down the street. So I walked down to it and discovered Sam’s Soda Fountain Café.


I set up my tripod across the street and took a picture of the café. And then a man in a red pickup truck pulled up and parked in front of the soda fountain. He got out of the truck and grabbed his guitar case from the back. I thought maybe there was going to be live music at the soda fountain that afternoon, but the man walked right past the soda fountain and entered the barber shop next door. I figured he was in need of a haircut before performing.



With the truck parked in front of the soda fountain building, I turned my attention to McKinley’s Barber Shop. It had an old-fashioned barber pole out front, which is a nice vintage item to find. As I snapped a photo of the barber pole, the owner of the barber shop, Richard McKinley, came out and started up a conversation. When I told him that I liked photographing old things, like the barber pole, he said, “Well, if you like old stuff, you have to come in here.”


I followed Richard into the barber shop and was immediately hit with the sound of old-fashioned country music. Over in the corner sat two older gentlemen, each with a guitar. A man sitting in a chair by the window of this very small barber shop whispered to me, “They do this every week.”


As I stood enjoying the music, Richard pointed out his antique barber chair from the 1940s. When I asked him if I could take a picture of it, he said, “Let me straighten it up first.” He folded the towel hanging off the side of it, straightened out the footrest, and then stepped aside to let me photograph it. I thanked him for his kindness. If you look closely, you will see him reflected in the mirror in the upper left corner of the photo below.


Then I turned back to the musicians, who were pickin’ and grinnin’ and having such a good time. I asked them their names and the man on the left said his name was Harold. After some good old-fashioned country humor, the man on the right said his name was Ray. I thanked them for the entertainment and then left this wonderful small-town barber shop.


Before heading back to the car, I decided to check out the soda fountain which, I discovered, had not officially opened yet. But the owner, Sam, was there working on getting it ready for the grand opening, so he let me look around inside. He was creating the look of a 1950s-era soda fountain and café. There was still a lot of work to do, but all the fountain glasses were on the shelf behind the semi-finished counter, along with a sign that said, “No spitting.”


After assuring Sam that I would do no spitting, I took a few photos of the glasses and wished him good luck with his soda fountain business. I left Markleville that day with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Thanks, Markleville, for making my visit so enjoyable!

Happy Shunpiking!
Joann

Photos in this blog post can be purchased as wall art, paper prints, downloads, phone cases, and keepsakes by clicking on the photo. You will be taken to the gallery website where you will see a big blue "BUY" button. Or to see all photos available, click on the "Browse Galleries" button on the menu at the top of this page. Thank you for your interest!

5 comments:

  1. What a happy story about a serendipitous visit to small-town Indiana. I looked up McKinley's Barbershop in Markleville, IN just now to see whether it is still in business. The search garnered a notice that the business was closed until 9 am Saturday, so I guess it's still going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. I was wondering about that myself, but didn't have time to figure that out. One thing I did discover is that the Google street view is from 2009 and, at that time, the Coca Cola sign was up on the soda fountain and it was half covering an American Legion sign, so they must have been in the building prior to the soda fountain. The man who owned the soda fountain was actually the chief of police and was creating the soda fountain business in his spare time.....a labor of love, for sure, since it was 2013 when we visited and he still had work to do before opening.

      Delete
  2. What a fun story of a nostalgic little town. I wonder if Sam's Soda Fountain was able to make a go of it. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything recent on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the LinkedIn profile of the owner, he's still the chief of police (26 years and counting) and was the owner of Sam's Soda Fountain Cafe from April 2009 - Mar 2014. That's too bad it wasn't successful.

      Delete